Thursday, July 3, 2008

The world is your classroom- study abroad

I've had a very busy week. Monday through Thursday I have Italian language class everyday for an hour and a half. It's very intensive as we are learning in 6 weeks what is usually taught in 4 months. However, being immersed in the culture and surrounded by the language definitely helps learn faster. My professor for the class is very good. We already have had a quiz and I got an A so I am very happy about that. We will have quizzes every week until the end of the term.

As for my art history class, this is very interesting. On Monday we have a lecture for an hour and a half and then we have site visits on Tuesday and Thursday. It's really cool to be sitting in class having the professor show us a slide and then say, "And we'll get to see this tomorrow." On Tuesday we went to La Basilica di San Lorenzo. It had many works by Donatello. It was also very large and I was overwhelmed because there were so many different things to look at. After lecture a few other students and I went down below the church to see the crypts- where many members of the Medici family are buried. Today (Thursday) we went to the Museo del Bargello. This had fascinating works, my favorite by both Giovanni and Andrea della Robbia, who made beautiful glazed terracotta works of art.

As for this coming weekend- tomorrow the whole group is going to Cinque Terre on the Mediterranean Sea (what a way to celebrate the 4th of July!). Cinque Terre is comprised of 5 villages and you can hike between them or take a train or bus or boat. I really want to try to do the hike, but we'll see how that goes. It's 5 hours long! As for the rest of the weekend, I'm not exactly sure yet what I'm doing so I suppose I will keep everyone in suspense and then let you know afterwards!

No comments: