Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Firenze

Last night I went to Firenze (Florence) for the Festival of San Giovanni. The city is absolutely amazing. And although at first it seems like it would be huge, it's actually enclosed and this makes it seem much smaller. We had a quick tour from our Art History professor on a few highlights, the most magnificent of all being the Duomo. Because of the time of day, I didn't get a very good picture of it. But I'm not sure I could fit the cathedral in just one picture- it's HUGE! So at least check out Wikipedia for a full picture of it and I'll try to get better ones on another visit. We then watched a fireworks show over the Arno river. The streets were crowded with people and mopeds. After the celebration we headed back to the Villa for the night.

I also had my first gelato yesterday- twice. I had limone (lemon) in the afternoon and then fragole (strawberry) at night. It was delicious. Any gelato I've had back home is much creamier and more like ice cream. The gelato here is very light and almost more like sorbet. It's delicious.

Today I had my first Italian class. It went really well. I feel so lucky to be able to be learning Italian in Italy- what better place to do so? Tomorrow I will have my first Art History lecture as well, which I am looking forward to.

These past few days have been so crazy, adjusting to my new "home." I think I'm now starting to get the hang of it. The Villa truly is an amazing place to live. We all leave our doors open and everyone is very trusting. Everyone helps to keep everything clean. Living here is such a privilege, and I will not take any second of it for granted.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Ahh yes, the Cathedral in Florence has many attributes found in the typical cathedral, clearstory windows about the central nave, aisles on either side of the nave. The fascade also appears to characteristic of a gothic fascade, with three portals with pointed arches on top, simply magnificent.

Oh man, I wish I could see amazing Gothic Cathedrals too! One day...

Anonymous said...

Hi Caroline~ I too was in Florence and Venice and Rome many years ago. I loved Italy and I am loving following your trip through your blog. Luckily Mary Beth told me how to find you because you, my sweet niece didn't email me!! I love you anyway. We are leaving for Vermont on Monday but I will check in as possible. Enjoy every minute of this amazing experience. I am so happy for you. Love, Aunt Vickie

Caroline said...

Sorry Vickie! I sent you the email with everyone else to the email address you gave me... maybe I typed it in wrong. I'm glad you're enjoying the blog :-)